Monday, November 28, 2011

I've Learned More than I've Taught

Where to begin... Being a tutor has enriched my life in many ways. One, I speak better in public because of the workshops. Previously, I would feel my sympathetic nervous system kick in with its shortness of breath and heart racing effects, and I would shut down. The first couple of workshops were just like this. I dreaded them, but now, I am grateful that I have been exposed to this type of environment. How did I ever plan to teach if I couldn't stand in front of a class and do it? That is another way being a tutor has enriched my life; I get to experience actually teaching.

Now that I have taught the workshops and students on an individual basis, I know, for sure, that teaching is what I want to do. I know that I am good at it, too. It is such a rewarding experience to see the same students, in the workshops and in face-to-face tutoring, progress. I feel like I have done something helpful.

I love my job as a tutor. I have been able to meet many people from all different backgrounds. Because of this, I've learned many things about the world and myself. It is very rewarding to be able to work with the people at the writing center.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home