Thursday, August 30, 2007

Introductions are in order, but sadly we're out of stock.

In front of you shuffles a short kid on stage, shoulders rounded and unkempt black hair. Through his fogged glasses, he looks both confused, nervous, and surly all at the same time. He looks left and right, as though not quite sure what he’s doing, but decides to do it anyway.

“Uhh, hi. Uhm. Hi. I’m, uhh…not, uh, sure I…uh…should…um…” At this point he pulls out a ream of paper scraps and post-it notes, some of which fall to the stage and he panics in a scramble to pick them up. He hastily looks around, surprised and embarrassed, and quickly runs off stage.

So, I guess I should start here without any further delay. I guess, hi. My name is Cameron, and I’m a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) student and brand-new Writing Center tutor. Or maybe it’s just some amazingly cryptic pseudo-identity and I’m really some kind of super-intelligent shark from the Marianas Trench whose life-goal is to conquer Andorra while wearing the pinkest pantaloons, you’ll never really know. Ahh, the joys of the internet.

But I digress in my nonsensical ramblings. Like so many of my peers and predecessors before me, I too am nervous and uncertain about what the future holds. However, having been in this situation before, and deciding that the best way (for me) to approach any new situation is to dive in head-first without looking first, I think I’ll do so…wait for it, wait for it…wa–NOOWW.

*crack*

Owww. I don’t think that diving into carpeted concrete was such a good idea.

In any event, hi. I sense you can get a feel for my personality as it stands. It’s because I’m psychic. Seriously, though, all kidding finally (and hopefully) set aside, for now, I’ve been participating in the class and have been finding it very helpful, and very enjoyable. 50 minutes feels like such a luxury compared to the three hours spent in art studio classes, or even the two hour art history classes. The work-load is a bit more than I’m used to, but since I have virtually no social life, I expect to get it done in a timely manner. Or maybe I’ll waste it away playing Magic: The Gathering and World of Warcraft at home and not get anything done.

I’m still in serious mode, btw.

But I think the class will be helpful and insightful. Going back to my nerdy MTG reference in the previous paragraph, I’m looking forward to the opportunity to learn and to better understand the underlying characteristics of the English language. This especially amazes me, since a few years ago you wouldn’t have convinced me I was into such a thing. But I’m getting off track. Going back to MTG, I’m reminded of the company’s player profiles: Spike, Johnny, Timmy, Vorthos, and Melvin. I won’t discuss any of the others, but I feel that I am, at least partially, of the player type “Melvin” who enjoys the game to understand the deep intricacies and inner-workings of many things of personal interest. So hopefully I’ll be able to learn and appreciate more about both the English language and helping others learn it as well.

And I’ve passed my 500 word mark. Okay, see you all next week. I have Andorran geography to research–WAIT YOU DIDN’T HEAR THAT SHUT UP AHHH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home