Thursday, November 30, 2006

Reflections...

Well, one thing that I have known all along, and yet I am barely beginning to truly understand, is that there are limitations on what is expected of me. In other words, it is not part of my job/ personal responsibility to ensure that a student walks away with perfect paper, especially if it is due in an hour. It takes some pressure off, I guess. Not that this job has been high pressure by any means, at least not compared to some others that I’ve had, and definitely compared to some other jobs that are out there…

As it has been mentioned already, it is nice to know and expect that some sessions will not be perfect. In fact, most sessions will not be perfect, yet they can still be good and productive.

The whole learning styles thing has been very helpful. It can improve communication miraculously. While it seems fairly obvious now, it did not enter my mind before it was mentioned in class. It seems like I used a lot of techniques that work well for me in explaining concepts to students, but that approach didn’t work equally well with all of them. And it’s not like I am some communication guru now- far from it- but there has been some noticeable improvement.

Overall though I am a slow learner, I’m afraid, because that’s about all I’ve been able to implement. But I am really tired right now, my brain is hurting, so maybe there are other things, but I just can’t think of them now.

I know it been very interesting to read some theory stuff, such as post process, writing as a mode of learning, and that “Inventing the University” essay. I guess it helps in gaining insight into some of the writing issues that come up. Once the root of the problem is known, one can go to work on it. But I don’t know if a lot of those things are necessarily problems… A lot of them are just essential steps of learning to express one’s thoughts in writing.

Another thing that I have learned is that I don’t have to be perfect in English to be of some use to the students. Although I was really excited about the job, at the beginning of the semester I had some serious doubts whether I will be any good at it. And while I am keenly aware that there’s a lot of room for improvement, at this point in the semester I also know that some things have been accomplished. Ah, I always have to pat myself on the shoulder, don’t I?

Well, enough of all this self-affirming, insecure/conceited babble, or whatever it is. Good luck to all of you with your essays, and finals, and Christmas shopping, and whatever else you feel you could use some luck with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home