Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sap, Anxiety, and All That Good (?) Stuff, or I Suck at Titles.

Well, I am not sure what to write about, to tell you the truth. My mind has been overwhelmed with things, all those end-of-the-semester things. I’ve noticed that in tutees also. There’s less joking around, or caring about becoming a better writer, or any of those fun things. The sessions are still productive, but in a different way. I guess they might be more efficient, because there’s not time to relax, because papers are due and all that stuff. So I guess what I’ve observed people performing well, maybe even better than usual, under the right amount of pressure. Yet the ‘right amount” is hard to define. Sometimes when I start feeling overwhelmed, start feeling that I don’t know when to start. My productivity is at its lowest. And I’ve observed that in some students also, and no, it’s not the same as being lazy.

I don’t want this to sound like I am complaining though. I am not, not at all. I’ve enjoyed this job so much. What a privilege it truly is to help another person with something as personal as writing. One way or another, one cannot help but to see a little bit of the writer through the paper, and I can never get enough of that somehow. How often I am amazed at how different people’s lives, experiences, interests, and aspirations are. There’s something truly beautiful about this diversity, and I delight in it! And there you guys have it; I am just a poet at heart! Sappy, very sappy, but true.

Well, moving on – enough personal revelation… The beast, the bane of my existence, also known as the bibliographic essay, is slowly moving in some direction, hopefully in the right one. Best of luck to all of you with your essays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home