Monday, December 11, 2006

Making Sure I'm square-- For future tutors

I figured that this post can't hurt and might help, so here goes. If you ever have the ability to go and work up in the Athletic study hall bring a whole heck of a lot of good reading, especially if you are a fast reader, which I am not. It was completely dead tonight. Thankfully the Writing Center also, was completely dead during my shift today, allowing me to get some more preparation for a math final in. For all of the times I've put off this blog, I'm actually going to miss it; it's nice to have a public forum to set down your thought, and to have your friends respond. It's kind of like opening Christmas presents when you get on the computer. You start looking forward to seeing other people's comments about what you've said. It gives you a place to “hang out” when you’re bored and at a computer (though another place I highly suggest is www.addictinggames.com. Go to Hero Machine 2 if you’re on a school computer that can support it, it’s INCREDIBLE). It’s like playing solitaire, only better.
For any future tutors in this class I’d like to mention “don’t worry too much.” You’ll feel a little bit stressed at the beginning of this process, but (as Qui-gon Jinn says) “credits will be fine,” you’ll do great, and while you’re doing great I’ll be in the midst of a great legal battle with George Lucas about not citing the earlier quote form one Qui-gon Jinn, so, for the sake of my future assets, I will go back and do that now.
Done and done. Not nearly as hard as I expected. (j/k) The other thing that I would like to mention is, don’t forget to have fun with this. For all the serious things that you have to deal with in the Writing Center, for all the training sessions that you have to have about what to do if there’s a bomb threat at the same time your stalker is trying to interrupt you and the student who’s sobbing on your shoulder because they’re emotionally distressed while the student that Derek is tutoring is trying to get your phone number—don’t forget that it’s fun. Don’t forget to enjoy helping the students who come to you, because if you enjoy it, they’ll enjoy it. Now if that wasn’t platitudinous enough for you, I can offer one piece of advice that has never stopped being pertinent in my life—and since it’s not mine I don’t feel so pompous in giving it to you. “Have faith and faith shall be given unto you,” or in other words, fake it till you make it. It seems insensitive when you’re feeling low, but it really works. If you don’t know things, just ask someone else, or look them up and act like it’s normal, because it is. Good luck “homies.” Be well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Andie: There's no reason you all have to stop posting here.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home