Saturday, September 09, 2006

Ode to a crappy title

I suppose I’ll follow Derek’s lead and introduce myself. I’m Jacie, and while I don’t have a satanic creature of any kind… I am owned by a 100 lb., 8 month old giant black fur ball who affectionately goes by Ronan. Do have pictures people, and am more than willing to share! Well, anyway, it’s best to get off this subject before I continue on with it for pages upon pages. An act which might fill up my required length, but would be of no real use to anyone but me and my love of my puppy.

Now I’ll commence with the question we’re asked to cover; what makes us nervous as tutors. Well, being completely honest a lot scares me about it. Every time someone comes in with a paper I worry that I won’t catch everything and they’ll be upset with the writing center tutors for their grade. Logically I know that this isn’t a sound fear, after all without a tutor they would have received a worse grade. Added to the fact that it isn’t our jobs to give them grades, but to build them up to becoming more proficient writers overall. Still, I worry that something I won’t catch will reflect badly on Claire and the Writing Center. This causes me to get sick butterfly’s in my stomach every time someone walks in and I know its my turn to present the entire center. It only takes a couple seconds after having begun interacting with the tutee before that goes away, but it’s strikingly similar to stage fright.

I also often find myself comparing my writing skills and corrective actions to everyone else. It gets worse if I know that the currant tutee has worked with one of the other amazing tutors that I happen to be lucky enough to work with. Kelly, Chris, Tyler, Katie, ANY of them outshine me so much that having a student say they’ve had a paper looked at by them before makes me nervous. I find myself thinking that they’ll have liked a particular approach one of the other tutors used better, or they just liked someone else’s bubbly personality more. It may just be me, but that’s a daunting fact to face, knowing that your being compared to so many very good people. I guess the only real way I can fight this is to keep watching the other tutors and absorbing their styles. Just like Dr. Rogers suggested. Even the new tutors! So that means if I annoy you by leaning over your shoulder or something, don’t hate me! I’m just trying to steal some good material from you. I love seeing someone do or say something that I’ve never thought of before. Its like a little light bulb goes off, my perfect ‘ah hah’ moment, and I wonder why I never thought of doing something like that before. You guys are such freaking geniuses, honestly! I don’t know how you come up with some of the things you do, but it provides me with no end of amazement and entertainment.

Well…now that I feel completely embarrassed by divulging my deepest darkest secrets to everyone that I DIDN’T want to know them. I suppose I’ll say farewell until next time.
Ja!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home