Saturday, September 09, 2006

some of my teachers

I can’t say that I learned how to write from any one teacher. Throughout my academic career I have had several influential teachers who have helped my writing, and in doing so helped me with my academic career as a whole. I feel that I am just starting to see what I can accomplish through writing.

When I was in tenth grade my history teacher, Mrs. Butters, assigned a five paragraph essay every week! At the time I hated her for it because it was hard! No longer was I required to fill out the ordinary worksheets of junior high and elementary; I was now forced to write. I would bad mouth her to every classmate I knew because of it. In retrospect, she was one of my favorite teachers in high school even though I hated her assignments. She was a teacher that didn’t dumb down her curriculum, and this experience formed a writing base for me.

In that same year my tenth grade English teacher didn't assign me one writing assignment! The class was composed of career development, movie watching, and presentations. To make matters worse, the class was out of control. I remember three girls who would loudly talk throughout class. One of the girls routinely brought her curling iron into class and did her hair! Our Prozac induced instructor was powerless to stop these three. This class gave me the impression that English was useless.

Despite my initial views of English being useless, I came to appreciate writing. In my senior year of high school I was blessed with the most influential English teacher I have had. She assigned hard writing assignments, and had individual conferences with each student to improve their writing. She would only accept the best writing, and she prepared me for college writing.

In my freshman year of college professor Rigby helped me by taking a personal interest in my work. After I had completed every assignment I would take it to her to help me improve on my writing. This showed me the importance of the revision process. Up until this point I had revised drafts, but it was fixing grammar and not helping my writing. I learned that good writing comes from work.

In addition to showing me the revision process, professor Rigby gave me my first A in college. This is significant because the fall semester before I had her I was questioning my academic abilities and if college was right for me. This A gave me the reassurance that I can succeed in college so long as I work hard. The revising process gave me the template of hard work to help me succeed in college.

I have tried to employ this template in my English classes, and Dr. Allred’s was no different. His class helped me to enjoy writing for the sake of writing. Up until my sophomore year in college, I had never written anything that wasn’t assigned. By talking to Dr. Allred in and out of class, I began to be inspired write on my own. This writing has helped me to discover who I am and where I want to go in my life.

In retrospect, I have had many different people who have taught me how to write. However, I’m still learning, and I don’t claim to know how to write well. I don't know if I’ll ever be a master at writing, but I do appreciate the growth process of writing. I've had multiple influences on my writing, and I will continue to have influences. I am grateful for the great teachers I have had in the past, and I look forward to the wonderful ones of the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home