Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Tutee and Me!

Alright, I finally got all the square pegs firmly fastened into the round holes and I'm ready to move on. I am not sure exactly what to say at this time but I'll try to try. I do have to say that it is nice to be in school again. I have been twiddling my thumbs for too long this summer and let's face it, how long can you twirl your thumbs? Well, the answer for me is, three months.

I actually had my first tutoring session the other day and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The student that I helped was more nervous than anyone. Even though we have only been in the class for a week, I felt confident that I could help. We sat down and began reading the paper. Her solace was overwhelming at first but she started to feel a little more comfortable as time went by. I do have to admit, I started feeling at ease as well. She was a young girl straight out of high school who wasn't sure what she got herself into with this whole college thing. It's funny how perceptive body language can be. She really didn't have to say much to tell that she didn't have a clue about what to do. I didn't tell her this, but neither did I. I found myself digging through questions and answers that I have learned in the last two weeks. 'What is the most important concept to cover?' 'Will I be able to do it in the time frame that we have?' The funny thing was, while I was pondering these questions I already started reading her paper. Everything just kind of fell into place after that. I was able to focus on helping and she relaxed. We made it through the dreaded first tutoring session together, the tutee and me. We said our thank-yous/goodbyes, and went on our seperate ways.

I don't know if she will be back and say how her paper went or if she will ever remember that I helped her. But I do know that I won't forget. It was a first and that doesn't happen often enough for me. Hopefully I can change that this semester and experience many more firsts. After all, it has only began.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

Good for you Tom. I'm glad your first session turned out to be okay. :)

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home