Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Dr. Rogers is reminiscing about Galactix right now

I took a class on fiction writing once in which students proof-read and graded each other’s stories. The way it worked was each student would turn in his or her story, then the prof would take the pile of stories and plop them down on one of the unoccupied front desks (there was more than a few) and then each of us little budding authors would retrieve a classmate’s story and begin our critique. The criteria for grading was ambiguous and almost entirely subjective; the end result was that each student would eventually get their story back with several conflicting statements from anonymous individuals concerning quality, writing style, ingenuity, grammar, and flow. It was frustrating. It was not helpful at all. As a tutor, I want to, above all, avoid afflicting any tutee with this kind of discouraging experience.
Anyway, I’m sure I’d be a lot more nervous about my first, rapidly-approaching, tutoring session, but I’m already so busy I haven’t had time for my customary fretting and fussing. If I was organized, I would be able to schedule a good half-an-hour of worry a day just to get my self good and worked up. As it is, it’s probably all building up somewhere in my unconscious and will release itself suddenly when that first unsuspecting tutee walks in the door. It’s a good thing psychological services is write across the hall, eh? He, he... yea.... I’m sure it won’t be that bad... Well. I’m pretty sure.... Well, at least I hope it won’t be that bad.
Well, anyway, good luck, everyone. Remember, all that is at stake is another person’s self-confidence. As for my self-confidence... well, all I can say is, thank God for the supportive natures of Dr. Roger and Claire. Tell me honestly, who needs more positive encouragement do you think: the tutees or the tutors?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home