Friday, November 06, 2009

Looking forward to being mean

I don’t ever remember learning about argumentative essays. My high school didn’t offer AP classes of any kind, so I don’t think I had that option.

After doing some independent research and, of course, asking a few people for help, I have finally figured out what “Rogerian” and “Toulmin” mean. I am NOT the “vicious” Toulmin type of writer. I really don’t like tearing people down for any reason. Rogerian is more my style. I know that isn’t always very popular, but I have found it to be a very useful tool.

I’ve spent a great deal of time working to create teams to support the needs of my children. Most of the time, all of the people involved were happy to be there, and creating consensus and cooperation was easy. Other times, we had to work for a very long time to find some common ground. I like being able to see the big picture, to understand what it is that people really want. I like being able to help other people see it as well.

I would imagine I might have a few opportunities to write argumentative papers in my career as an elementary school educator. I actually look forward to it, since I haven’t had the chance before.

I think I use the Rogerian style of “argument” when I work as tutor. Sometimes I have to figure out what my tutees are saying, and why they are saying it. Then I need to find a “nice” way to say something they don’t want to hear: “This paper really needs a lot of work.” Even though I may feel like using the Toulmin style of arguing, I don’t think I could get my message across that way. I have to let the writers know I understand what they are trying to say, and then say what I need to. I often feel like I am looking for common ground when I work with them.

My OTHER job is another story. I share my Art Teacher responsibilities with another woman, and right now things are not going so well for her. She is not getting along with the principal, and I find myself in the middle. That is not my idea of “common ground.” It is more like “Ground Zero.” She’s so stressed right now she is even mad at me.

When would someone use Toulmin style? Since I don’t have experience writing argumentative papers, and I missed the discussion in class, I can’t really imagine using them. Dr. Rogers hinted that we might use argumentative styles of writing as we compose our bibliographic essays. Maybe I’ll get my “big chance” after all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home