Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Have you seen two Vikings?

Midterms went all right for me. Nothing was to out of the ordinary or super hard. I had a seven page paper, a five page paper, and two presentations. One of the presentations was on Led Zeppelin, so it was not really like homework at all. It was fun to learn the entire history of Zep. The papers were not that bad either. I had ideas, and I wrote them down.

As for the slacker prompt I think I will discuss the results of the soapbox derby that Jon mentioned in his blog. The derby went down on Friday night. It was about ten o’clock when it all started. There were probably around fifteen carts. Some were well built. Others were piece of plywood nailed together hastily. There was a couch with a dolly under it with a scooter on the front for steering. I looked at my friends’ cart and had thoughts of maybe needing to say goodbye to them. Everyone was gathered around, waiting for the event to start. The course for the race was a steep, long, and curvy hill. I did not think the carts would make it down. The race started off with fireworks. It was not long until we saw the carts flying down the hill. Then, right in front of us, a cart flipped. It was the cart that had a horse head on the front. They also had a flamethrower coming out of the horse’s mouth. Weapons were not permitted. And, ironically, this was the cause of the warhorse’s crash. They were hit by a flour bomb. Another cart had put together a bunch of sacks of flour and were throwing them at other carts. Derek’s brother was hit by one of these bombs, and it caused him to crash. Tanner was not happy. Unfortunately the flour bombers were never found.

After all the carts had past we ran to the bottom to see who won. While running down, I saw a cart completely decimated. This sight brought a smile to my face. The carnage I knew would come. The smile was wiped off my face when I saw it was my friend Ryan. Ryan, who had previously broken his leg long boarding this summer, was in pain. I stopped to see if he was ok. He looked up at me and shook his head. Clint, his race mate, and I had to carry Ryan to a car, which took him to the hospital. I then proceeded to the bottom again to find out the results. I never found out who won; everyone had seemed to come in fifth place. The racers thought it went down great, and decided to go for another run. Trucks were brought in to take the racers and their carts back up. The second run was not as eventful, for the carts that were destined to crash already had. Everything settled down, and we started walking back to the house. One of the carts seemed to decide to take a third run, and was coming down fast.

That was pretty much the race. I never found out who won. Ryan broke his leg and ankle. It was the other leg, so now he has broken both legs in one year on two different occasions. So, for everyone out their reading this, I hope to see you next year at the fourth annual soapbox derby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home