Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Argument Shmargument

To the best of my knowledge, I was taught to write an argument like…well…an argument. I don’t remember any specific advice given to me from my teachers. They basically just said “choose a topic, pick a side, and run with it.” Sure, I was told to use facts to back up my claims and to acknowledge the opposing argument. But all these seem like they were accumulated over time. I don’t remember having an instructor teach me the elements of argument. I don’t remember any formal training in the subject. I just must be an amazing student and never had to be taught how to write an argument paper because I’m naturally amazing at it! Actually, that’s probably further from the truth than Giligan’s coconut radio.

I think my first argument paper was in my English 1010 class that I took during my senior year of high school. I could be completely wrong though. I could have written one before then, but I have no recollection of it. I do remember that I was really good at writing titles for my papers.
My papers were all okay, but the titles were amazing. I took pride in my titles. I think I ended up pulling a B+ out of the class. I could have done better, but there were a few days when I totally forgot that a paper was due and I had to turn it in late. That came back to bite me! My English 1010 grades are the only blemish on my transcript and now I wish I would have taken it a bit more seriously.

That’s kind of off the subject though. What was the prompt about, oh yeah, argument. So, basically I remember being told that I needed to determine what heated topic I was going to write about, take a side, and go to town. I wish that I had been told not to write about certain subjects though. How many students write about abortion or politics? I think that teachers should make their students write about something original, and if not original, at least something that hasn’t been written to death for the last however many years.

Also, much of my knowledge of arguments has come from my friends. I have a close chum who used to be on the debate team, and he was always arguing and telling me about his latest adventures in the debate circuit. While he never helped me write an argumentative paper, he taught me some important principles that I have been able to apply to my writing.

The thing that has helped me the most when it comes to writing an argumentative paper, and writing in general, has been working in the writing center. Just by listening to other tutors and taking part in the tutoring process, I have learned way more than any of my formal schooling has taught me. When you’re around something that much, you’re bound to get better and improve. I feel that way about writing and the writing center. So, there you go. A blog about how my arguing got its beginning. And yes, I did just begin a sentence with “so,” and “and” in this sentence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home