Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Argument paper? What's that?

Perhaps I just never paid attention in high school, but i was never officially taught how to write an argument paper. Perhaps i didn't pay attention in any of my college classes, but, other than last monday, i have never been taught how to write an argument paper. So, either I am a fool with an extremely short attention span (which is entirely possible, perhaps even probable), or I haven't been taught how to write effective arguments formally.
I think I am a somewhat argumentative person naturally. I don't mean that i get riled up and start yelling at people if their opinions don't match mine. I mean that i like to pick apart topics and presentations. If there is something wrong with a movie, a book, or a piece of music, and there usually is, i will find it. Then i will proceed to tear it apart calmly and quietly. OK. I'm really not that vicious. However, i do enjoy picking out the logical fallacies in an argument. What I'm getting at here, is that i am naturally inclined to write argument papers. Even though I haven't had any formal training, i have been able to create some pretty persuasive papers.

I really do wish that i had listened more closely to my high school AP lit teacher. When i think back,I'm sure that she taught us all how to write argument papers. It wouldn't have been possible to pass that class, and get a five on the AP exam without knowing something about essay writing. A third possibility has presented itself here. 1)I didn't pay attention in high school, 2)I never did receive formal training regarding argument papers, or, the new proposition, 3) I have a case of early Alzheimer's, and i forgot everything i knew about writing argument papers.

In any case, i do wish i had a little more experience with writing not only argument papers, but all kinds of essays. As much as i have always loved literature, my foray into the writing world is a fairly recent affair. I still feel confused and uncertain about a great many things. I despair that i will never really understand all the rules that MLA, APA, and various other writing styles present. I suppose the only thing to do is continue on! What better way to learn the particulars of writing than to teach those particulars to others?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home