Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Number Three

I am not sure who posted a blog about their ninth grade English teacher, Ms. Robinson, but I am shocked. Why, you may ask. Because my ninth grade English teacher, Ms. Robinson, was also the wonderful being who introduced me to writing arguments. Perhaps if your last name is Robinson, you are destined to introduce such topics, I don't know.
Our assignment was to pick a side and argue it in a persuasive essay. I believe this was all in preparation for the UBSCT test. Robinson was an excellent teacher, and she had a very detailed and precise outline for effective persuasive essays. She talked about the formulation of a thesis statement, of topic sentences, and she even mentioned touching on the opposite side towards the end of your essay.
I still recall the prompt that we were to pick a side and argue. It asked what the hungry student should eat, and the two sides were either in recommending a candy bar or an apple.
I obviously chose to cheer on the apple. I began with an introduction that described life's simple pleasures, such as a bath with bubbles, snuggling up in your chair with a book and a blanket, and of course, chocolate. But I proceeded to explain why the apple was the better choice for a hungry student. My main points were the avoidance of a sugar crash and the apple's energy-giving qualities, the health issues of apple vs. chocolate, and... I forgot my last one.
To be honest, I am shocked that I remember as much as I do about learning persuasive writing. Ms. Robinson was definitely the greatest English teacher I have ever had. And if you were to ask anyone who went to Snowcrest Jr. High School, even if they did not like her, they would have to admit that she taught them the most beneficial knowledge about writing and literature.
I would now like to describe Ms. Robinson. She was a much older lady, just skin and bones and the highest, most ridiculous laugh you will ever hear. She cracked herself up daily, and while it made some people's day, most students were just scared of her. Robinson was strict, and it was effective. She was never necessarily rude or cruel, but she expected her students to work hard in her class, and it was evident in her abundance of work and her very detailed critiques of your papers. Since Robinson, I have never received as much feedback on my work. Actually, I miss it. Robinson made her students feel valued. We were her life. She considered every single line in every single paper from every single student.
I miss Ms. Robinson.
And I am grateful to have learned about this vital writing technique from such a wonderful Jr. High teacher.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keya said...

OMG.

WE HAD THE SAME MS. ROBINSON.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home