Saturday, November 07, 2009

Argument

Ninth grade was the first time I wrote an argumentative essay. My teacher was careful to call it a persuasive essay though, probably to prevent students from writing an actual argument between two or more people. With this essay we were told to choose a controversial issue, take a side on the issue, and use examples from dependable sources to support our argument. We were also told not use words such as: maybe, sometimes, and could because these weaken our argument. At this point, I realized that in writing there is not a wrong answer as long as you can effectively support what you are saying. I loved it!

Since junior high, I have had the chance to write many more argumentative essays. Each of my English teachers might have called it something a bit different, but looking back now I realize that I was always just writing an argument. With each passing essay, deciding my main points, choosing a side, writing a thesis, and supporting my argument with good sources became easier and easier. I also learned that the most effective argument is a well written, well supported one.

Along with writing these argumentative essays, I was also taught how to evaluate and analyze an argument. This is something that is completely necessary in everyone’s everyday life. In my English classes we were assigned to read novels, essays, articles, and even poems and told to analyze their argument to determine what the author was trying to say. In doing these argument analysis assignments our eyes were opened to the fact that argument is everywhere!

In my first semester of college I took a public speaking course. Here again I faced argument. Our second speech assignment was to write and give a persuasive/argumentative speech. With this assignment I learned about additional elements of argument, Aristotle’s appeals. Learning about logos, pathos and ethos helped me to decide how best to persuade my audience to my views by appealing to their sense of emotion, logic and ethics.

In my 1010 and 2010 English classes we examined the arguments people make in television adds, in propaganda, and of course in literature. This again showed how prevalent argument is. In 2010 one of our final assignments was to write a Rogerian argument. My topic was on the BODY WORLDS exhibit. In this essay I never took a side. I never had a clear, concise thesis stating what my views were. I therefore could not have a conclusion that strongly restated my main stance in closing. Writing this essay was somewhat difficult and just plain weird. It made sense to write it this way in order to give balance to both sides of the issue without being confrontational, but it also went against my argument learning up to that point.

I love writing argumentative essays. I think all of my teachers taught how to write argumentative essays really well, maybe this makes up for cruising through MLA with our eyes closed. I think the most valuable thing I have learned is that almost everything is done for a specific predetermined reason. I have learned that every piece of writing, every commercial, every speech, every song is saying something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home