Saturday, September 25, 2004

No University Experience So Far

My first experiences in English at Weber State will happen this semester, as I learn to utilize the skills I have in jotting the English language down on paper. By the time I graduated from high school, I had received a passing grade on the AP Language English test. A few weeks before school at Weber State started the next Fall, I was informed that my passing grade had earned me college credit for both English 1010 and English 2010; this would leave me with no English requirements left to fill before graduating with a degree. However, I happen to enjoy writing a lot, and plan to graduate with at least a minor in English, so I still have courses in this subject in my future.
Since I have not really had any experience in an English 1010 or 2010 classroom, I must resort to my experiences in my AP English class in twelfth grade. Though my classmates and I were still in high school, this class seemed to take on a higher stance than the English classes we had been involved with in the past. Instead of passive grading that most of us were used to, our papers were being returned with red marks and opinions smeared over much of the lovely white background. In my school, there was only one teacher who taught the AP Language course; she had been asked several times to grade the test for which she was preparing us, and planned to return to Florida the next summer to continue her AP grading adventures. I think the thing I learned most during the course of her class was how to consider the audience that would be receiving my paper. I had often regressed to a close-minded view that only those residing in the city of Layton, Utah would understand. I soon learned that considering an audience is one of the most important steps in developing the ideas for a great piece of writing. If even one individual misunderstands what is being discussed, the entire purpose of the writing is lost to that one person. This is a tragedy, for you never know how important a role that one person may play in the communication of your idea. I value this technique I gained in twelfth grade English because it taught me to fully explain myself wherever I may be in life. This has led to my teachers knowing how to communicate concepts to me in the most understandable way possible, and it has led to my writing being accepted on a greater level, all of which has led to my success in many areas.
I guess you could say that I came into university life knowing what I know now about writing. I expect my writing to be an infinitely improving and changing process; one that I may use for accomplishing great things in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home