Thursday, September 23, 2004

I learned a lot about writing in both my 1010 and 2010 classes.

My 1010 teacher (who gave me an A- despite the fact that I had a 94% in his class- and I’m still a little mad over that, can you tell?) taught writing in many different forms. Because of his method of teaching I realized that I had begun to see prose writing as the only form of writing. He taught me that writing is only one form of communication. He taught me about the wonderful world of ‘subtext’, a principle of communicating and writing that I had never before known. Knowing about subtext has helped me add further depth to plot lines and characters in my stories.

My 1010 professor made us write, meaning we had to write for five minutes without stopping. He wouldn’t allow us to stop and think about what we should write next…it was one continuous span of time where pen did not leave paper. If you didn’t know what to write you would write ‘I don’t know what to write’. We didn’t just write essays. We wrote poems. We made posters.

In 2010, I learned about argument writing. I learned about clear, concise thought and language. I learned that it’s hard to pleas former nuns; that their grading standards are very strict. However, those standards made me a better writer. They forced me to try to get all I could out of every piece, every paragraph, every sentence, and every word.

This professor taught me about claims- that they must be strong. This professor taught me about support- that it must be relevant. This professor taught me about warrants- that they hold the whole argument together. 2010 taught me that argument writing can be the most important, influential writing you can do. This class also taught me that writing a convincing argument is not easy- that there are many pitfalls along the way. Argument writing is where logic, opinion, and scrumdilliumptious grammar grab hands and walk into the sunset.

From 3840, through the readings and responses we must do, I have learned that it is impossible to boil writing down into any succinct elements. There are all sorts of theories about writing- what makes a good writer, what makes a writer good, what makes a good writer bad, and what makes that writer take a .44 to his medulla oblongata (something that I sometimes consider when I read writing theory). However, some of these ‘theorists’ make good points and have insights that are well, insightful. Through this course, though, I have come to firmly believe that not one method is wholly right and not one method is wholly wrong. Take in the good, push out the bad, as Susan Powter (the crazy ‘stop the insanity’ lady) once said. Okay, I don’t think she really said that, but let’s pretend.

Overall, my experience in learning writing has been a positive one. The best part is that I have learned something important in each class. Who knows, maybe if I attend a Weber State English class each semester until the end of my days I’ll actually get my novel published. Isn’t that a novel thought? Pun intended.

By the way, John Kerry looks like Jay Leno and David Letterman had an ugly baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home