Friday, September 17, 2004

All The Help I Can Get

I am very excited to see all the different blogs on this subject! When I was in high school I was taught in a manner similar to what we discussed in class on Monday. I was taught to brainstorm, come up with the main thought, and then form a rough draft. After completing the rough draft we handed it in for revision. When we received our scarred rough draft back we completed the assignment and handed in the final draft. This is similar to the idea presented by Murray of the pre-write, the write, and the rewrite. Although I agree with this idea I do not think that all student will be able to use that freedom appropriately. Some students need the teacher to provide direction for them to initially learn. Maybe in higher-level classes the liberal view would be more appropriate, but young learners need structure coupled with the opportunity to think for themselves.
I think that Murray brings out some great points about how we can improve our teaching. The teacher does need to listen more, focusing less on the finished product and more on the process. Murray says that the teacher must respect and respond not to what the student has done but what they may do. This argument intrigues me. I must agree that if I was the student I would appreciate the teacher being less critical. But sometimes, the only way to build is to first destroy. Not to hurt the student to the point that he or she doesn’t want to try anymore, but if it is too easy for the student than they will never learn anything. I think that another problem that is faced in high school is that so many teachers instruct students in a different way. Students are taught to do one thing many different ways. For instance I had a history teacher who taught me more about writing essays than my English teacher.
All teachers make up there own style to teach. This is not a bad thing; it brings diversity and culture to the classroom. But in teaching the writing process each student will be different. From comprehension, to listening, to their vocabulary, students will learn in their own way. Each student has a right to have the teacher’s undivided attention. That is not a possibility. This leaves the student to struggle under the assumption that they can grow without an oppressively guiding teacher. That assumption may not be incorrect but the speed and quality of that growth will be hindered. Presently the vast majority of the students coming form public high schools are not prepared for collage.The topic of how to teach writing is something that I enjoy very much. Not because I want to argue, but it helps me understand how others teach. I need as much help as possible. A thought I am reminded of every time that I finish a session with a tutee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home