Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Bonehead English

When I finally became a senior in high school I was excited. Seniors didn't have to do hardly any work if they didn't want to. I am......Well, I was lazy back then. So, instead of signing up for an AP English class or an Intro to College class, I signed up for what was known as "bonehead English" After some time in my last year of high school I came to find that I was wrong about not having to do anything, but when it came to my senior English class, I had hit the nail square on the head. We didn't do much but share our opinions of how we thought our teacher was an alcoholic. When we weren't gossiping we kept somewhat busy in class doing simple things like finding definitions to words and using them in sentences. I remember there were a few essays that my teacher had us write, but I don't remember being taught how to write them; form a thesis, use an outline, support a thesis, or even how to tie in the thesis statement and supporting material with an effective conclusion. I learned nothing like that. I only remember receiving some instructions like 'Write me a three page essay about where you think you are headed in your life.' I remember writing that essay thinking it would change the life my my teacher if he only would read it. Now that I think about it, I doubt he read it. I say this because I got an A on the paper. I still have the paper I think, I might have thrown it away after reading it and seeing how terrible it truly was. So I came out of high school with no idea of how to write an essay. I still don't write to good now. (that was for you Jessie :))
To some extent I agree with Murray. I think we do learn by writing, but I think we must first learn to write. Last year I completed English 2010. I took it from a professor who, by what many told me, was far from easy. I got a B. But I learned how to write a whole lot better. Being able to write decently has freed me up to being able to learn while I write. I obviously have a long way to go but I want to keep going. I want to learn and that's why I want to keep writing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

good point. Interestingly, the assumption has always been that new college students need to learn to write proper Academic prose. The sad thing: The old English Comp&Rhetoric classes supposed to teach that have been reduced to li-ter-a-ture, and that not all so well taught.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home