Thursday, September 09, 2004

Me, anxious?

If it’s Thursday, I must be blogging. I don’t know why I get such a kick out of this word. I want to use it in sentences: I think, therefore I blog. If I blog in the forest, but no one reads it, did I really blog? Which makes me think of, if a man is talking in the forest and there’s no woman to hear him, is he still wrong? My only regret is that I have but one blog to give for my country…okay, I’ll quit. For now.
I’ve been trying to figure out a way to combine my blogging journal with my Educational Psychology journal, but I can’t get my “reflections” to cross over, so I guess I’ll just get plenty of writing practice. Uh-oh, one-sentence paragraph. Better add another sentence to avoid that. I don’t see the problem with one-sentence paragraphs. Sometimes they’re good. Sometimes there’s only one sentence to put there, and sometimes it’s a good emphasis trick. Sentence fragments can be useful, too, and some really good famous writers use them. Then, I consider writing about writing to be a huge waste of time, and some really good famous writers do that, too.
So far most of my Writing Center time has been spent doing homework. It’s a great and wonderful, quiet place for that. I wish I’d discovered it sooner. But of course I’m such a fabulous writer that I never needed it. I got all my notes from Ed 3100 and 3140 typed up, and did all my assignments from my Integrating Technology and Curriculum class. Oh, and I started reading The DaVinci Code. Since it’s been laying there since spring, chances are its owner won’t want it back before I finish it
I didn’t feel any anxiety at all about tutoring till after I did it. After all, as I believe I've mentioned, I'm fabulous. Today, which is my third day of work, I got to tutor a young lady, and I thought I did a good job. There wasn’t really much to fix. Her idea was catchy, her thesis statement was practically neon, and I found myself wishing for more problems. We settled on rearranging paragraphs just a little, to make it flow better, and cutting a few extra words. The paper is due Tuesday, and I told her to feel welcome to come back. Then later I got to thinking about it, and I thought, what if her grade is actually worse than it would have been without me? What if she needs help again, and I ask her if I can help her, and she looks down her nose at me and tells me she’ll wait? What if I’m the worst tutor ever?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home