Monday, September 06, 2004

It's good to see I'm certainly not alone in believing I've forgot close to everything worth remembering in regards to writing. Of course, in the coming weeks, I will think such a thought absurd, instead believing in the equally ridiculous conviction that I know nearly everything. Perhaps, with even more time, the two extremes will gravitate to a more natural balance; the new conviction thus resulting in the most moderate of beliefs: I don't know a damn thing, and what I've come to remember from past years was all wrong in the first place.

I anticipate running through this cycle at least once a month for good measure. Equal doses of humbleness, ignorance and egocentrism are bound to yield new ideas and techniques, which I will use or ignore freely as the current mood dictates.

And so it seems my real concern, far from having anxiety about any specific one thing, comes from an unwillingness to give up the opportunity of being both the bewildered student and the sure handed teacher. In my position as a tutor I hope to emulate my 11th grade chemistry teacher in this regard: learn as much as you teach.

No doubt the first couple of weeks will be more to my benefit than anyone else's. But, hopefully, after the first set of tutee's have taught me some of the basics of tutoring, I'll be able to help them with the basics of writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home