Monday, September 13, 2004

Ramblings (Think "Yellow Wallpaper")

So, we’re supposed to have a 500 word log every week. I’m lucky if I speak 500 words a week that aren’t “No! Don’t do that!” “Dang it, why did you dump that on the floor?” “Where the heck is Elijah?” or things of that nature. So often I feel caught in the vacuum of parenthood that it is truly a culture shock to come here to campus where people speak “grown-up.” It gets so exhilarating that sometimes I talk way too much. Maybe that’s just me?

Finally, I’ve tutored here at WSU. I feel so special! I just told a tutee to scrap his entire essay since he wrote about why he came to college instead of the assigned “plan for succeeding in college.” I feel bad. I’m evil. Yakkety-smakkety.

I checked. I had 131 words at the end of that paragraph. What the heck am I supposed to say? (Notice the use of “heck..” Yes, I am Utahn.) I need a prompt! Otherwise I’ll default to daily life and my mundane existence. (Sigh)

Okay, so I didn't tell him to scrap his ENTIRE essay. We found sentences that could be used effectively and all that stuff. He seemed okay with it. I told him to come back after his re-writing.

Just a note: Blockbuster is EVIL. They have the $14.95, get all the videos you want for a month deal--some slick pusher talked me into it and so now I feel obligated to get as many videos as I possibly can for the $14.95 (plus tax). Of course, I have procrastinated my homework to watch such stellar productions as "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (nothing happens!).

Today in the writing center I feel like I "done some good." It's good to be back at it "a'gin."

I'm going home now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home