Wednesday, September 22, 2004

HS teaching methods

I don't know if it is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, but I don't remember much about my childhood. However vague those memories are, I do remember that teachers were mostly concerned with grammar and punctuation. Structure and content held less weight in the assignments, although meeting criteria for the assignment was essential.

I went to a small high school and there were two english teachers. I had the one that looked like a female member of the SS- not with yellow teeth, or gray teeth, but green. She was a stickler for correct grammar and the relationship between subject and verb. She also had us diagram sentence after sentence- to the point where I felt like I was serving a prison sentence...ha ha, pun intended...but if that wasn't a pun, I apologize.

As I look back, though, writing wasn't stressed as much as english. We perhaps used the five-paragraph essay form- introduction, body, conclusion- but real structure, creativity, etc, were not as important to those teachers.

Another thing I remember is my english literature class which lent itself to appreciation of literature, not learning from literature and making yourself a better writer.

By the way, John Kerry sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home