Friday, September 24, 2004

College writing

Wow, two posts in just two days. I impress myself. I'm trying to catch up so that I can get my much worried over points for the class.

I never took English 1010. I took 2010, but I read through the class, wrote my paper the way I wanted and got an A. Very useful class, eh? I honestly can’t remember any professor teaching me how to write effectively. I’ve read enough that I recognize the difference between good writing and bad writing. I model my writing after what I consider to be good writing and it works. Perhaps I’m arrogant and not actually a good writer, but I’ve never found anyone to contradict that assumption.

College writing boils down to pleasing the professor, nothing more. Every professor I’ve had has had a particular writing platform. The problem at the beginning of the class is to figure out the professor’s platform and write according to that platform. So, what I learned from one professor is irrelevant when writing for another professor. For instance, I had one professor that was adamantly against using a comma between city and state (don’t ask me why.) Some have outlawed using “I” while others are okay with it. This rule I’ve never heard before about not using contractions is interesting and useful, but when it comes to writing for a different professor, completely irrelevant unless the professor reiterates the rule. Sylvia’s passion for not using commas is certainly not shared with other professors I’ve had who added commas to my papers at an astonishing rate, seemingly at random.

Ooops, I’m heading back to my "jumping through hoops" soapbox. Actually, the jumping through hoops lessons are great for future careers. Bosses like you to jump through hoops, too! I’m so excited! Maybe I’ll get my hair cut to resemble a poodle so that I’ll look like those circus dogs.

Now obviously I haven't written my full 500 words. I suppose I could ramble on about nothing in particular for the rest of the 500 word count, but that would be doing everyone a disservice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home