Friday, September 24, 2004

Du Duh

As I reach into the extended hole, known as my brain, to find when I learned how to write. I found that my only logical answer is, that I don’t really know how to write. I am a master pretender, fooling myself into believing that I can contribute to the world of literature. I used to think that I was capable of changing lives with my writing. This seems more and more less likely as I continue in my studies. I write like most students do, as you can probably tell, awkwardly trying to manipulate the words on the page to represent me. Or at least the stagnate ideas that are forming in my mind. Honestly I probably should not be a tutor. I should be the tutee. Writing in college is more than most of us realize. Or at least that is what I have experienced.
As I try to wrap my head around the last few readings, I find myself lost in an overwhelming forest of jargon and theory. I write as a release from the world. I advocate the journey of discovering the process of writing. But will we ever reach a finished product, a certainty? A place that we can take students and say, “ this is how you write.” Even if a place such as this exists how do we pass out a map and feel comfortable letting students wade in, in most cases drown.
In college the actual process of writing was never taught to me. The professor required that we just write. If writing was taught in any way it was in trial and error. Papers would come back with red comments scattered throughout, indicating to the students their paper was less than satisfactory. This was not a surprise to most students who expected that their paper will never come back unscathed. I think that one of the main purposes of college is to make us feel inferior so that we will be sufficiently awakened to our need to learn. High school was so easy for most of us that we glided through on little to no effort. Establishing our arrival into life we strangulate the possibility that we don’t know as much as we think do. After becoming motivated it is hard to locate exactly where we should start on our road to completeness. We all need this. We need to become an expert in something. In what is up to us.Being a tutor has helped me to appreciate the position of a teacher. Within every tutoring session that I have, I see a student that has unutilized abilities. Most often tucked in their back pockets, these talents begin to fade into the worn, exasperated life of the student. To me the confusion on how to teach writing is an obvious statement that we are not really sure what we are doing. We simply know that something needs to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home