Friday, September 17, 2010

My Writing Process

For me, writing started as a passion in grade school. I remember being so excited about our weekly writing assignment! This enthusiasm changed when I got to high school. This is where the rules kicked in and the writing was no longer about what I was writing about but how I was writing it, which seemed backwards to me. I started in 1010 when I got to Weber and the focus had not changed. I was being graded on form and not content. Writing went from a love to a chore real fast. I love writing again. At one point in my college experience, the writing process became natural to me so I could once again focus on my content. It seemed that when my focus changed back to content, so did my professor's focus. I still get form corrections on my papers but I have stopped taking it so personal.
Learning to write academically was a process that I did not enjoy. I always felt that the professor was giving me busy work instead of helping me improve my writing skills. Turns out, the professor was giving me the opportunity to practice so that it would eventually become a natural process for me. I don't necessarily follow the same form I was taught to begin with but I feel comfortable enough with the knowledge I have about the process to put my own spin on it without messing anything up. So now the process is simple and natural for me but I understand the frustration in the eyes of our tutees when the just don't understand why we HAVE TO HAVE a thesis in the first part of the essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home