Friday, September 10, 2010

"Don't Tell Me. We're About to Go Over a Huge Waterfall."

"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"Bring it on. BOOYAAH!! WHOOO-hoo-HOO-HO!"
(The Emperors New Groove).

I just had to start off with that quote because that's just about exactly how I felt with my first few tutoring sessions. The reason being was because I was scared to death of what was awaiting me at the 'bottom of the waterfall', but I wasn't about to let it stop me, nor did I exactly have a choice. In the end, although my first tutoring was terrifying, it was still a lot of fun. I believe I have learned more from the students than they have from me.

I worry that I am overly critical of myself when it comes to tutoring sessions. I worry that my expressions are too focused and not eased enough to make the student feel more relaxed, I worry that everything I'm telling a writer is not getting through to them, and I worry that I'll never match up to the other tutors. I've also learned a lot from the other tutors. I love working with them in sessions because it helps me gain experience and figure out how to phrase things better. I've especially learned a lot on how to phrase things to writers that do not have English as their native language.

My first tutoring session was actually with an ESL student. I was terrified. I was so afraid that my explanations to the students questions on grammar and word phrases were not coming across in a manner that the student could understand. I was so grateful to have other tutors in the room that I could turn to for help. Tutoring in ESL was a lot harder than I expected. In a later ESL tutoring session, I was relieved to have a fellow tutor sit in on a session with me and help explain things to the student. I picked up a lot of different ways I can phrase questions to the student to help them figure out the answer on their own. That made me happy and when I have in turn applied these little tricks I have been met with success.

Something else that I was not prepared for was with APA formatting. I had never had to do it before in any of my classes, so it was completely new to me. It was an intense learning experience where I was sure I was headed for those sharp rocks. But, with a little help, I was able to figure out what to do and how to explain it, the student did as well, and now I know how to do APA formatting.

I felt like I have jumped around all week to a lot of different sessions, in which I learned something new every time. I also worked as a lab aide a lot of the time, which I found enjoyable. i learned a lot about the students that would come in from being a lab aide as well, I didn't expect that. I also didn't expect how much I would have to refer to so many different books to help a writer clarify a meaning or get a point across. I was happy to have something turn to along with the fellow tutors. I feel like I was saved by them so much, but I suppose it's also a learning experience all the way around, so, "bring it on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home