Thursday, September 09, 2010

You Can't Scare Me!

So, before I began tutoring, all I could think about was how bad I was going to be at it...Thankfully, I had this class to give me a few pointers on how a session should go. Setting up a 'map' of where you want to be at the end of the session has probably helped me the most so far. A lot of the students want their grammar checked but they don't realize that the grammar won't matter if the idea is unclear. Surprisingly, most of the student's I met with didn't have super bad grammar problems. More often than not, the student's conclusion should have been their introduction(just like we were told in class!). It was scary when I had to work with some ESL students. The thought going through my head was "How much am I going to screw up this person's English?" Luckily, most of them understood what I was trying to tell them(or said they did) and left with smiles. That's the thing I like the best so far. The satisfaction I've seen on a few of the students' faces has been absolutely rewarding! I think that I'm going to make it as a tutor :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home