Thursday, September 30, 2010

Books and Games

I wish I had the time to contemplate the vampire paradox. I can barely squeeze in a few minutes here and there reading for pleasure. Anyone reading the Hunger Games? It's my new passion! I'm only about halfway through the second book, Catching Fire, so please no spoilers! I beg you! If you haven't read them, you're missing out! (Boys: no, it's not a new Twilight series!) It's really quite thought provoking. Though I haven't been able to pick it up in a couple of weeks to finish it because (among all the others things on my to do list) I've started proofreading the first draft of a book my husband wrote. Deciding which book to read in my few minutes of spare time has been a difficult decision. I have to laugh at myself, though, because it's not like it's a life altering decision, yet choosing is still rough. It's hard to choose between two good things that you want to do! During my struggle to choose, eventually my husband's book wins out. All I have to do it think about his "puppy-dog" face he makes when he asks me if I've finished reading it... then I feel guilty. :) He only does it for laughs, but I'm a sucker for it. So hence the reason I haven't picked up Hunger Games in a while!

Another distraction is gaming. My husband is a big gamer, but a lot of the games he plays are one-player only. I watch a lot of the time, but I would like to play with him every once in a while. This is why I'm so excited about the new PlayStation MOVE. It's similar to the Wii in that it's a motion controller, and there are several multiplayer games that we can enjoy together. We've already begun playing and it's SO much fun! My favorites are the Gladiator game and the Archery game, both of which are part of the Sports Champions Game. In Gladiator we get to wear armor and fight with a sword and a shield. It’s fun to power slash your opponent! Once you’ve knocked your opponent to the ground, you can power jump hit them to really damage their health. The Archery game is far superior to the Wii version in that the graphics are infinitely better and the targets are more challenging than the traditional bulls-eye target. You pull and load your own arrows instead of the game doing it for you. So speed and accuracy are important. Another way the MOVE is superior to the Wii is its sensitivity to the motion control. Before every game, the game will calibrate your body dimensions with three different reference points. This allows the game to recognize more complex movement then the Wii would be capable of. Also since the PlayStation has HD graphics and the Wii does not, it has a much more mature feel. Don’t get me wrong! I love the Wii! It is so fun and has been the source of many memories. However, it’s only a stepping stone in the direction of motion capture technology. Imagine what the next generation of gaming technology will allow for!

I do wonder about the vampire paradox though...
Do vampires starve to death even if they're undead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home