Friday, September 24, 2010

The Other

Contemplation, reflection, assumption, these are the ideological underpinnings that define my perspective life, while entering into the academy. The deliberation of my mind, while sifting through my existence, all the while ignoring the Other, leads me through the maze of discovery. Searching, looking, and trying to find the acknowledgment of what knowledge is and who the Other is. This fascination with the Other, consumes my soul as I enter into each class. Each assignment is a section of my soul and being, to which I offer up the Other, for its determination. Am I fit to accept the knowledge for which has been displayed to me? The Other judges, evaluates, and brings my damnation.

Thus, every grade is a limitation of the knowledge, the “A” becomes the political subjectivity that we enter into within the master-slave relationship. Just as Bartholomae enters into this relationship with the power dichotomy, the student enters into the relationship with the Other. Hence, the Other, becomes the knowledge. But then the relationship is one-sided.

The Other, ignores my soul. Bleeding out, my being seeks to find autonomy with the Other. Navigation through the University becomes a form of negotiation. But how am I of value of the other? And in that case, what is value? Face-to-Face, I engage the Other, lending my mind as chalk board to be engraved and re-written upon. Fortunately, for me, the Other approved, leading me into the darkness of knowledge.
What is truth? What is knowledge? At what point does, my soul come to the acknowledgement of the Other? The University encapsulated the ideologies and consumed the souls of many. It is only at this point that I realize what the Other has to show me: The University is a creation of my being. Nor I, nor anyone, will be able to determine the world. Thus knowledge is my truth of being. When I am ravished from the Other, then, and only then, will The Other let me go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I want your philosophical brain...

7:45 PM  
Blogger Laikwan said...

Yes, Emmalou. You asked me, and I say yes. Pouring out that nasty philosophy onto that Doc Rogers plate. I know that he'll love you for it. Mission accomplished. Don't do it again. ;-)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home