Monday, September 20, 2010

The Origins of the Species... of Writing...

It was the dawn of time... Not really, but I do have quite a memorable path that lead me along the path of writing. One of my earliest pieces of writing was an epic picture book that I wrote in the second grade. Mr. Etheridge was my teacher, and he saw that I had a hand for story telling, and encouraged me to write up a story about what I had been joking about with my friend. It was february, and we were learning about George Washington, and thus "George Washington and the Meatball Tree" was born. It was an amazing tale related in six parts. So I embarked on my writing career.

One of my favorite things to do growing up was read with my father, and play scrabble with my family until the wee hours of the morning. My father always encouraged me to read all sorts of books, guiding me to literature that had withstood the test of time. I remember some of my favorite stories growing up being White Fang and the Call of the Wild. Jack London's writing drew me into the story, and I could really see Buck and White Fang pitting their wills against the wild. My father would tell me stories each night before I went to sleep, and I would come up with my own, and write them down as I found time. I feel that this free writing really lent growth to my capacity to express myself clearly, which is an important aspect of academic writing.

My father would always tke time out of his busy schedule to sit down with me and look over my writing, analyzing my ideas, and making me think. Throughout all of my years in the public school system, I never wrote a cop-out essay that was inflated with bogus concepts, and empty ideas. My father wouldn't have it. He felt that it was important that we honestly think about the concept, take a side, and put a real effort into defending it. We could worry about grammar and other errors later. The important thing was idea. It gave a piece of writing a soul and meaning. Then we scrubbed it up with punctuation and grammar. That is where my writing comes from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home