Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Code

My undergraduate experience definitely was filled with some of the things Bartholomae talks about. I felt lost. I knew that I had to act like I knew what I was talking about in my papers. In reality, I was an eighteen year old experiencing a brand new life. I felt like I had to relearn how to write. The difference between how I was supposed to write in high school and college was drastically different. A new type of writing was introduced to me. Research became something that my papers revolved around.

My freshmen year of college was a big wake up call for me. I was taking a mere 12 credits, living in the dorms, and not working, yet I was still overwhelmed. I had so many study groups and extra labs. I realized that I had to study a lot more than I did in high school. I was at a university where the average ATC score was a 28. My score was nothing next to that. I was competing with naturally brilliant students. However, these students were not accustomed to constant study like I was. I actually ended up getting better scores on some things because I knew how to study. I had to study to do well in high school. I went to more additional lab support type things than most. I utilized those resources on campus. I remember sitting in my American Heritage course with 749 other people. I wanted to know my teacher, but it was virtually impossible. Many of the teachers would be frustrated when you walked into their office hours because it was part of their research time (the real reason they get paid). Some would be an asset, but many felt like their job was just to go and lecture. Although there was frustration at times, I found that I admired many of my teachers. When they lectured, I felt like I wanted to record everything they said. I realized that getting on good terms with certain professors was recommended.

At first, my college experience was frustrating because I felt like I was learning a new code to get through life. After I figured out that getting to know your teachers, studying at the library, and using the extra resources on campus, college became much more enjoyable. I felt like I had figured out the code. What worries me is that I know the code will change when I enter the professional world. I will again be uncomfortable. In some ways, I feel like I have become so comfortable living in the college world because I know how to navigate it. What is scary—is leaving this code and learning the next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home