Friday, September 24, 2010

To Write Right

Learning to write academically has been an arduous process for me. I don't remember anyone teaching me how to actually write. I remember Dr. Francis (history department) explaining the thesis-and-supporting-elements-form with his Slappy the Cat analogy. Learning the actual writing has been a long process. My ENG1010 amounted to a lot of writing about my feelings and getting a handout that identified prepositions. My 2010 spent a lot more time talking about fallacies than composition. I feel like it has taken a long time for me to learn to say what I want to at a level that doesn't sound like a third-grader but doesn't obfuscate in its attempt to sound academic. Fortunately for me, or for my writing, I do it recreationally; like with anything else, the more practice I get, the better I do.

Buck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home