Sunday, September 26, 2010

BARTOLOMAEUS!!! Amen!

I hear you Brotha Laikwan!!! I give you a witnessss!!! Looking back on my experience thus far, I think that I had two completely different starts to my University experience. I was fresh out of high school, and came for a semester before I left to serve a full-time LDS mission in Italy. That first semester, I had no idea what I was really doing with my life. I honestly had no idea where I wanted to go, or study, or what, and so I just did what the advisor's told me to do. Loaded down on generals, and then started running in the direction they pointed me in. I got along pretty well with my teachers, but honestly didn't realize that I could really talk to them and get their help. I suppose that is one of the lesser recognized blessings of the Weber State education. The classes are small enough that if you put forth a little effort, you can really get to know your teachers quite well, and get the help that you need if you ask for it. I matured a lot on my mission, and learned to get out of my comfort zone and get the help that I needed. Since I have been back, developing a relationship with my instructors has really helped me understand how to work in my classes, know what the expectations are, and work well with my peers. To tell you the truth, I feel really blessed to not be caught in the 600 member lecture classes that some universities have, and be lost in the fracas that comes with it. It is nice to be on the level with the instructor, and get an almost "individualized" education. I have found that sometimes my writing does imitate my instructor, just as Stravinsky's early music imitated Tsaichovsky, or Mozart imitated Haydn. I see genius in it, and seek to incorporate it into my own. Over time, it morphs into something different, and uniquely mine. On the whole, I am glad that I get to work with such great people. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home