Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Metacognition

The issues I am currently facing still deal with research. The broad topic of metacognitive theory is supplying me with a lot of information that I still cannot filter through. I am still working on ensuring that my essay revolves around metacognitive theory APPLYING to tutoring papers. I have not yet found a paper that adequately fuses these two subjects and I fear that I will have to do the fusing myself.

Emig was the individual that originally inspired my chosen topic, but even her paper is not applying metacognition to writing centers; Emig applys metacognition to writing...not teaching. I am also reminded of Rafoth's essay on imposing critical thinking techniques onto the tutor, but these two essays serve one purpose without the other. My options with most of the essays I've been reading are either in the direction of pure theory and science with no application, or simply the application sans theory.

The majority of sources that I am finding are either much too broad or too narrow. The broad sources consist of references to psychologists or simply controversies revolving around the study of thought. The sources that are too narrow fuse the study of thought to assisting disabled students.

I feel that I am still too early on in my gathering of sources; I am still trying to get a good idea of what it is I am even writing about. :( The depth of this topic is a little overwhelming. On that same note, the writing and research that I am being exposed to is intriguing, so I am able to keep my interest in the articles/books - which is very important considering 98% of the work involved in writing the bibliographic essay revolves around the attainment of research.

I am trying not to get ahead of myself. My mind is already teeming and I am tempted to draw conclusions and start working on a rough draft, but I am still only scraping the surface of the great depth of this topic.

The devotion of time that this essay requires is definitely killing me, but I am hoping if I dig deep enough into cyber-world, I will find a beacon of hope and a dimension that helps bind all of these concepts together for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home