Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Answers are Blowing in the Wind

I am freaking out about the bibliographic essay, but it’s not because I don’t have enough sources. I really have too many. I am having trouble deciding which way to go with it. Should I discuss what learning disabilities are commonly seen in the writing center, or should I focus instead on what we can do in the writing center to help with them? Both ideas have merit, and I am curious where each will go.

I am also having difficulty finding time to read. I have read a couple of the articles to date, but that’s it. I don’t really want to spend the time and money to print them all up, but I think reading will go faster if I do. Maybe I’ll have to start riding the bus again, just so I can read undisturbed.

I really need to find a quiet place to read, and my life isn’t quiet. I live with teenagers, after all. My brain must compete with television, computer games and general hyperactivity for quiet time. Home is just not a quiet place.

My “other job” is not a quiet one, either. On my days away from Weber State I teach Art to elementary students. Most of the time I take art supplies around from room to room on a creaky little cart. Yesterday, though, my principal gave me a new classroom in which to teach. I felt like crying! My students behave so much better when they are in my room. Still, I have been unsuccessful in finding a quiet place to study there.

On the more positive side, I am truly looking forward to reading all of the articles. The subject caught my interest a long time ago, and I am ready to learn more about it. Maybe I’ll hide in a back room in the basement of the library.

Speaking of the library’s dungeon, has anyone else here tried to find a good children’s book there? It takes a while to find the “youth” section, even with directions. It just doesn’t look like the children’s section of a library. There are no rocking chairs or bean bag pillows to sit on. No one goes there at lunch time to read to the kids. Worst of all, there are no colorful murals on the walls depicting fairy tale characters or fantasy creatures. They don’t even have a LEGO table down there! Maybe I can get my elementary kids to hop the bus and come and change things. I’ll bring the paint and brushes, and they’ll provide the ideas and the energy needed to fix up the place.

Best of all, they can bring in some NOISE. Wait…that was what I was complaining about in the first place: my life is too noisy. Maybe I’ll just try to enjoy the glorious energy that swirls around my life right now, my wonderful children, those animated art students, and this hectic, crazy college life that I wouldn’t trade for anything. I’ll just have to learn to read in a whirlwind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home