Saturday, August 29, 2009

I am always nervous when I don’t know what to expect. Luckily, since tutor orientation and with every passing class session, I am learning little-by-little what to expect as a tutor. With this training I can happily say that a lot of my nervousness is disappearing! That’s not to say I will be a perfect tutor my first day, but I know the kind of tutor I want to become and I am committed to doing everything necessary to reach that goal.
I want to be the kind of tutor that can really relate to the student. For example, I wouldn’t be in my fourth required math class at WSU if it weren’t for a high school math tutor who was dedicated to relating to me and my math struggles. I know what it’s like to struggle with a concept and to be terrified of going to tutoring. My highest priority is recreating the comfortable tutoring environment that my tutor made for me. If I can successfully create this inviting atmosphere, I think everything else will fall into place. That should be easy, right?
I expect to be tested and in some cases, pushed to my furthest limits concerning patience and understanding. I don’t expect the tutoring process to come easily to me, but I will do anything to ensure that I have helped the student in any way I can, whether it be looking something up or asking another tutor for help.
If I think about the insecurities I have concerning tutoring, I might become so nervous that I won’t be able to function! Since I am too busy to choose that option today, I guess I will just keep smothering those pesky insecurities and endure with the rest of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home