Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nervous? Sort of...

Am I nervous about tutoring?
Well...I have already tutored this summer, so I feel okay about starting, but I still get the graduate student anxiety of everyone realizing that I'm not as smart as I think I am.
I also worry that I will explain over some one's head. When I am talking to my husband, my friends, or in my job as a lab aide, I occasionally use vocabulary words that are a little out of most people's vocabulary. I do this without realizing it until someone says, "What does that mean?" For example, I told an employee of mine that I would send out a schedule delineating the exact times and days for coverage. He said, "What does delineate mean?" I had to back up and then explain myself. He had never heard that word. I just hope that my tutees feel comfortable enough to stop me and say, "What does that mean?" I hope this class can give me some strategies to make sure that I watch my word choice and am flexible with tutees.
I also worry that my mind will be elsewhere when I am tutoring. I have a busy life with two jobs, a husband and school. Sometimes I find myself drifting and thinking about everything I have to do rather than focusing on the task at hand. During the summer, I found that tutoring focused me on the needs of my tutee and I just hope I can continue to do that.
All that aside, I am really excited about this job. I have always loved communicating my knowledge to others, even when I got made fun of for using puce as a color during four square. I also looking forward to helping others with a subject that I have a deep affection for and letting them know that it is not easy. If I've learned anything in my time as a student of English, it's that this subject is one of the most frustrating and yet ultimately rewarding I have ever experienced.
I want to tell my tutees that writing does not magically appear before talented people like raindrops and that it is work. I want them to know that if they don't get it at first, that it's like body-building; with time, repetition and added weight, the muscle (skill) builds and comes more easily. I also want to get people to understand what an adverb is and how to use it. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says, "Drive careful!" That is impossible. It is drive carefully. I also can't stand "Fresh brewed coffee!" Is the coffee flirting with you? No? Then it's freshly brewed.
I digress; the answer is I am nervous in some respects, and in others, excited. Sometimes excitement feels like anxiety, so then again perhaps I'm not sure at all. This would not be the first time I've been unsure; however, my enthusiasm for the job and for my subject will hopefully ultimately prevail and I will do my best to be the tutor I know I can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home