Friday, December 05, 2008

20/40 Hindsight

If I could go back and start this semester all over again (kidding, really) I would hope that someone would explain in agonizing detail that I don’t have to know everything before tutoring someone else. Those first few tutoring sessions of the semester convinced me that I knew virtually nothing—I panicked every time I had to pull out the reference manuals or look something up on the computer. I was the great impostor, taking up space in the WC. But, hey, nobody can know everything, right? Even the greatest tutors have to run for backup once in awhile; I’ve witnessed it! :)

Secondly, I wish I had known MLA better. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of it, yet was always second-guessing myself. This class was really my first exposure to APA, Chicago, Turabian, et al, and it was a given that I would need help with those. But MLA? I have an English degree! I should have known it! These past couple of weeks I feel like I have tutored with the MLA and APA reference books open at all times. Sometimes the more you know, the more you have to double check. Perhaps if I took MENG 6610….nah.

One last thing: I was not prepared for how taxing tutoring can be. It’s deceptive; you sit in a chair, you have a conversation, you occasionally lift your (purple) pen. But it can wear you out. I have a whole new appreciation for tutoring and teaching. It’s been a great experience for me.

I hope you all have a great break! See you in the WC! Bring food and stories!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home