Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Training

I felt pretty prepared for tutoring this semester, but there were a few things that I wish I had known, so I guess I will impart my wisdom to all future class members. First, be prepared to tutor the first time you step foot in the writing center. I thought I might have an opportunity to watch other more experienced tutors work with students, but I walked in one Tuesday night and a student came in asking for help and I was thrown in. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but I stumbled through. There were some awkward moments because no one else was tutoring and so the other tutor and friend sat listening to me tutor. I was a little self conscious about the things I was saying, but I guess it all works out. After that I wasn't afraid to take a session, but I still felt a little under prepared for what I was supposed to say. So, get ready to tutor as soon as you start your shift, you'll probably get thrown into the fire, but it will be good for you.

The other thing you should know about the class, that you will completely ignore, is to just maintain as best you can. There are blogs to write, reading responses, oral presentations, and a final paper. Tutoring starts to get crazy the last week of class, and you have to turn in your giant paper. If you have been maintaining everything throughout the class and staying on top of all the work, including doing research for your essay you will be fine. Just remember, that last week when you think you might have time you won't. But most people procrastinate, so don't worry. You won't be alone.

The last thing you should be aware of is your fellow tutors. We learn a lot of theory in class and we do assignments that are supposed to teach us how to be great tutors, but the best way to learn is to just watch the other tutors work. Steal how they talk, steal how they tutor, steal the pointers they give. If you have a chance to just sit and watch for a bit, take it! You will learn how to make an hour long session into twenty minutes. You will learn how to talk about language. The best teachers are the other tutors in the room, and they can offer some of the best training.

Good luck to the future tutors. If you want to swap crazy stories about the Writing Center we can all get together for coffee. Anyone know a cute little place around here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home