Monday, December 01, 2008

Universal Issues

I wish I had known how to better limit a tutoring session when the center is busy. I am a pushover and tend to let other people control things (although I secretly hate this), so I have felt like I am unable to direct and control the session more. However, I know that the student should be in control, but it would be nice to be able to tactfully end a session if we are out of time or if there are many people waiting.

I have learned one technique from Greg, who is awesome (except that he likes to steal all of the purple pens, even while I am using one). I have heard him go through a page with a student, then stop when he realizes that there are people waiting. He takes a few more minutes to point out all of the universal issues in the writing. He spends a few minutes discussing these with the student, clearing up any confusion and answering questions, and then he wishes them well and moves on to the next student. I wish I had known about this or seen him do it earlier in the semester so I could have done the same when appropriate.

Another technique is one I learned from Leslie at the Davis Learning Center. She did a great job of sitting in on one of my sessions and then giving me useful feedback that I wish I had heard earlier. She mentioned that one way to conduct a session is to have the student read through the whole paper before commenting on it. She advised me to make small marks in the margins to keep track of places that need help. From there, she said to notice the universal problems or issues, and then address one or two examples of each issue. This allows a better use of time, allows a discussion on what the students needs to focus on, and allows the student to look for these same patterns. I liked this idea because I found it to be a good way to help a student learn to see issues in his or her own writing.

So, now that the semester is over, I have some really great techniques for managing time in tutoring sessions and for allowing a student to learn more effectively. I wish I would have known them sooner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home