Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hmm... Tutoring.

A tutor is, as Merriam-Webster's dictionary states, "a person charged with the instruction and guidance of another;" not to be confused with Tudor style architecture or someone who blows a horn(toot-er, get it?).

Joking aside, i am rather nervous about having someone's grade placed into my hands. As a tutor, I will be in a position to help others achieve their academic goals through constructive criticism. However, I am worried that I don't have sufficient know-how myself. How am I to guide and teach, when I am unsure? Despite my self-doubting in this regard, I know that I will be able to help fellow students, and I am so excited for the opportunity to do so! Stepping into something new is always a little daunting; just as jumping out of an airplane is somewhat unsettling. Not that I have ever jumped out of an airplane or anything, though I do hope to someday. Why would I want to leap from something solid and safe into the fickle currents of air that lash across our planet? For the very same reason that I want to be a tutor. It is a challenge. It is an opportunity to experience something wonderful.

Of all the lessons life has thrown at me, the greatest has been this: Don't be afraid of an opportunity. No matter how under-prepared I may feel, I will strive to make myself ready to serve the students who will give me their time, work, and trust. If there's anything I truly dis-like, it would be this: disappointing my co-workers, friends, family, and now tutees.

From previous teaching experience, I know that the teacher often learns from the students. The pursuit of knowledge is one of my greatest joys and desires. I don't know if I would be able to endure college without my insatiable thirst for knowledge. The opportunity to help students succeed in their own studies will be beneficial to both parties. I am sure that my first attempts with tutoring will be difficult, sloppy, and perhaps even embarrassing; but practice makes perfect! With time (hopefully a shorter amount of time rather than longer), patience, listening, and learning, I am confident that I will become an effective tutor. People will rise to meet that which is expected of them. I realize that much will be expected of me as a tutor, and I will not disappoint.

Am I nervous? Sure. Nervous with anticipation for the great experiences that lay before me. I am anxious to learn more about how I can help my future tutees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home