Monday, September 03, 2007

Fears

I am afraid of ruining a session. My biggest fear is that I will totally ruin my first session, and no one will want me to tutor. I know that I am being dramatic, but I really do fear that I will completely go wrong with my first sessions. I do not want to mislead anyone. I might not know the correct answers, (and I know it is okay to ask someone) but I might think information is correct but what if I am wrong? I do not know all the different grammar rules, but if a writer asks, I do not want to teach something completely wrong. I also know that grammar should not be my main concern, but if a writer asks, I cannot ignore the request. I am also afraid that I will not understand what the writer is trying to accomplish. I will ask the writer what his or her goals are, what are some of the problems etc., but what if I do not know how to reach the goals or fix the mistakes myself? I do not want to misinterpret the writer, set off in a wrong direction, and confuse the writer. Along with that, I am afraid that I will not be able to express myself. Sometimes I have a really hard time with words, and I am afraid that I will not be able to state clearly what I mean. On paper, expressing myself is different because I can take my time and review what I wrote, but I only have twenty minutes with each writer. I do not want to spend half of that time trying to express a single concept. I think that is my biggest concern. Sometimes my friends will understand what I am saying, but people I barely know will not get what I am trying to teach them. I also have not taken many college English classes, so I might not know what to do with certain papers. I do not know the different rules for different papers, so I am scared I will not be able to help the writer at all. I especially do not know what to do with scientific papers. I do not know if they follow an English format or if they need a thesis. I have no clue what to look for. And, there are so many different ideas about resumes I do not know how to treat a resume. Different papers like that intimidate me. I am also unsure about organization. I had a very hard time with how to organize my English papers last year. My professor had to walk me through each paper. How am I supposed to help with a big topic like organization, if I cannot do it myself? Lastly, I am afraid that I will not be able to identify where the boundaries are. I want to be aware of where the different lines are, but I have a feeling that in an actual session, I will not be as concerned with the lines. But, that means that I may more easily cross them and overwhelm a writer. I may sound like I am a nervous wreck, but I really am not. These are just the different concerns I have. I will be a little scared in my first shift, but I think I will be okay. And, once I get working more, I think I will be more comfortable. Plus, my tutoring class will help me, and teach me a lot. I think the biggest reason for all of these fears is that I do not know what to expect. However, I am excited to find out what a tutoring session is like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

Breathe, my friend. That is the first thing to do. Also--- remember that you are not alone. Not only are there experienced tutors, Claire, and Dr. Rogers to help answer your questions, but remember that you can work with the students you are tutoring.

If you don't know an answer to something, you don't have to guess. You can look it up. And looking up something in front of someone you are tutoring shows them that if they have questions they can look things up, too. Similarly, when you make goals with those you teach, you can brain storm ways to make the best of your session together.

As far as getting the right wording, it just takes practice. Observing other tutors and how they word concepts, etc. is a good way to learn effective tutor wordage.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home