Thursday, October 06, 2005

Cookie-Dough Writers

Golly, I always get addicted reading everyone else's blogs. I almost forgot to write one myself. You guys have excellent blogs and great ideas. Could I just say "ditto" a bunch of times?

Let me think now: what was the topic of discussion? Ah, yes; I remember: Learning the academic lingo. The way Mark and Greg were talking, it sounds like a foreign language. Maybe it is in some ways. I think that I am learning what professors expect and learning the academic discourse through trial and error. Like in Dr. Roger's class, I kind of knew what he was looking for in our reading responses, but not until I got my first response back from him did I really know what he was looking for. With each paper I write, I discover a little more about what the professor is expecting me to write like. Hopefully with each paper I write, I get a little better; I get better feedback and a better scores on my assignments each time I try another one. Some professors, like Dr. Rogers, want clarity; other professors want something else. The point to learning all of these different expectations is to combine them to learn the academic discourse: to write like educated collage writers should.

It’s like baking cookies, I guess. You have different ingredients to mix to make the dough and then you have to let the rolled up balls of dough bake (that's the hard part for me, waiting--- and you can smell them...mmmm)--- and then POOF yummy cookies to eat with a glass of milk. By learning different techniques through trial and error, submitting and resubmitting papers; pleasing the professor and earning the well deserved A in the class, writers can learn to write academic pleasing material. The trial and error, submitting and resubmitting papers, is like the ingredients for the cookie dough; and waiting for the cookies to bake is like waiting for the feedback from a professor or the grade for the assignment.

On the last episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer (7th season) Buffy tells Angel that she is like cookie dough. She isn’t ready for a lifetime commitment with a guy. But when she is ready and is a “cookie to enjoy,” then she will let him know.

I’m a cookie-dough writer; I’m still in the learning and discovering process and not quite like a baked cookie yet. Some people like my writing and I’d hate to tell them that it is just cookie dough that they’re enjoying. And that is because I’m not to my full potential as a writer yet. But then the issue of knowing when learning actually ends comes into play. There is always something more to learn and the academic discourse is metamorphic. Kirsten said, “The evolution of writing... will it ever end?” Will it? If it doesn’t, then I guess I will be like cookie dough forever. I guess I will always be learning. I like school, so I suppose that won’t be a bad thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home