Friday, September 30, 2005

Inventions!

When I think about "inventing" the university", I always think of Wallace and Gromit, or the guy who made Flubber, or Maurice from Beauty and the Beast. All of these people had one thing in common: they were inventors! ya. And Kassie just supplied another person: Emmit Brown from Back to the Future. This is what I am thinking when I remember those first days of college: the stress, the worries over if the teacher is going to put me immediately in front of the class to discuss the analogies of the bug in The Metamorphosis, the fatigue of speaking "smart" language. When I started classes, they were all generals, so nobody was really expecting that from me at that time. It was like high school all over again, except without sleeping so much. Then, since I immediately knew what my major was going to be, that was when the teachers wanted me to be "smarter."
I felt the pressure! I thought I was never going to make it if I have to be a scholar. Unfortunately, this reflected in my papers. I tried to sound as "smart" as possible because I expected it to be easier to get an A. Not smart. Instead of sounding "smarter" I was in fact dumb with my answers, my stupid inflated vocabulary was more inflated, and I didn't think that there was a hint of my thinking in any of my assignments. Isn't it ironic? Pretending to be smart and turning out to be far from it. So this made me think of the inventors we know and love. What do they do to create the things they made? They had education from the knowledge they already had, but they weren't afraid to try their hand at new things. It's all about exploration, exploring the many facets of what people want or need and creating their own solutions. I feel it's the same way with inventing the university. We look at the academic world around us, we absorb some of the knowledge, and we find ourselves in it. Plus, I love Wallace and Gromit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

Hey, Kelley! I thought of another inventor! Stanley Yelnats the 3rd from Holes. He invented Sploosh, remember, the de-oderizing of smelly shoes. Onions and Peaches!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home