Monday, September 05, 2005

Do you honestly think I could outdo the previous fantastic titles?

Now it's my turn...

Did that catch your attention? I certainly hope so. I wanted to begin with something riveting so you would read my blog. In addition, this is my thesis statement: what concerns me most about tutoring another in writing is that so much of writing cannot be learned from a book, or from speech, or from the suggestions of another struggling writer. I know it's essential to teach grammar and mechanics or great ideas will die helplessly like a "compliment whispered in bad breath." But what you read above is precisely what frightens me the most: writing has become mathematics for many, and what lies beneath stays beneath because so much of expression falls behind our emphasis on structure.
But don't worry -- I don't feel up to delving too deeply into the purpose of writing. I could discuss women's rights and provide a sweeping attack on the theories of Immanuel Kant, but that too seems rather large for me. I think I'll just conclude (aha!) with a humble confession. I don't know what my most important suggestion will be when I read the perfect essay void of emotion. I suppose I'll learn in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home