Saturday, September 03, 2005

Fears? More like Reoccuring Nightmares

So I've been trying to visualize my first tutoring session: thst student walks into the writing center with backpack slung over one shoulder and a host of worries clearly read in his face. He sees me, walks toward me with that steadiness that people show when they've found someone they think will understand their challenges, and says something quite simple but yet profound in its rammifications.

"Hi, do you think you could help me?"

What do I say? Of course my first impulse is to say, "yes, of course, Welcome!" But under my not so deep subconcious is the thought of whether I'm qualified to help this student with anything. That would probably be my number one fear: to have all the desire in the world to help people with their writing, but yet lacking the skills to do so effectively.

Throughout my educational past students have asked me to look over their writing. I've always enjoyed that very much in large part because it shows such a large amount of trust, on my fellow student's part, to ask me to look over their pieces. It was that trust that motivated me to check out the writing tutor job listing initially, and now that I know so many of my coworkers I feel like a part of a team: a force for good.

With those good things in mind I suppose that fear will subside with practice (fingers crossed!), but what can I do to make sure that the first experience with tutoring on Tuesday will be better than the reoccuring nightmares I'm having more often all the time? I'd really love to be able to say to that dream student with confidence, "That's why I'm here!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home