Sunday, December 12, 2004

I know I'm a bit late in posting this, but I would like to respond to the prompt about what I wish I'd known before I began working at the Writing Center as a tutor. When I learned I had been hired as a tutor at Weber State, I was overjoyed. However, I had no idea about the unusual yet meaningful journey that lay ahead of me.

Most of all, I wish I had realized how many different ways in which writing is regarded. I am constantly around friends who enjoy writing and sharing their thoughts and feelings with those around them. I knew I was going to be dealing with people who disliked writing to a certain extent, but I was shocked when most of the clients who wandered into the Writing Center seeking my help regarded writing as a chore rather than a pleasure. I wish I had been more aware of this atmosphere, because I feel I may have been more help to the passive writers that needed my help.

I also wish I had realized how psychologically involving tutoring sessions can be. Drugs, alcohol, and other types of substance abuse are emotional topics for me because of the effects they have had on the people I love. After I began working as a writing tutor, I found that the majority of students I assisted had written about some type of substance abuse. At first, I found it difficult to read about a student's struggles through drugs and alcohol because it reminded me of people in my own life. However, I soon discovered that I could learn through what the student had written about their experiences, and what they had been through. I found that this conducive to my empathy towards my loved ones and their issues.

Finally, I wish I had known what an incredible experience this would be. From working in the Writing Center for this past semester, I have made some great friends, had fun with writing,
and learned so much. I could not have imagined a more fun way to spend my Fall while doing something I love. Thanks, guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home