Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Vids, eh? Sure, why not.

I certainly enjoyed the ideas introduced in the first video. As a nontraditional student, my mother seems to be suffering under some delusion that most college students want to go to class, want to do their homework, and want go above and beyond what the teachers ask. I think that's baloney. I tutor a math lab for Math955 students. They get a grade for attendance; we started with 15 students in each lab, and we've ended with approximately 7. That's half! It's absurd to think that students would destroy their grade simply by not attending, but I see firsthand that half of this developmental class failed their math lab.

Me, I would say that I fall somewhere between your average student and your ideal student. I would say that the biggest problem is that students are human. This is a computer-and cellphone-addicted generation. On Monday, I decided to track how much time I spent on the computer for a week, just for the hell of it. Well, it's late Wednesday night, and I've spent a whopping 19.25 hours on the computer already. There are 72 hours in 3 days, right? Well, let's see. I've spent 15 hours working, leaving 57 hours. I've attended school for 12 hours, which brings my total down to 45 hours. I've slept 20 hours, leaving 25 hours. Of that total, I spent a whopping 19.25 hours (or 77% for those of you who are mathematically inclined) of my time on my computer. That's also 26.7 percent of 72 hours. A bit much? Probably. Still, in my defense, I don't spend any time on my phone or watching TV. I get all of my media through my computer. Besides, it's a really nice computer! So you see, even though I acknowledge that 19.25 hours is too long, I don't do anything about it. I don't even want to do anything about it.

I'm lucky that I'm attending Weber State. The small class sizes were one of the biggest reasons I chose to stick around. I got several good scholarships to go elsewhere, but I prefer to be taught by professors who know me by name, not a glorified grad student. Forgive me for wanting to have certified educators teach me! I feel appreciate by my teachers (Dr. Rogers, if I'm delusional, please don't disillusion me), and I know that I can approach my teachers for help.

It makes me curious. What would 200 Weber State students say if they had to complete a survey that asked them the questions that the first video answered? Would the statistics be as shocking? I mean, I accept that they're true, because I know people who are just like that. But is that truly the average?

Worse, I can't even say that this isn't acceptable, because I'm just like them. So, I'm putting the question to you. Is that acceptable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home