Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Guise of the Plagiarize

I once heard a man on the street say “plagiarism is dumb.” Okay, he didn’t say that. And yes, I know that that wasn’t a profound statement in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I don’t know if
I’ve ever heard a man on the street say anything about plagiarism, but my blog is now started and I can continue chit chattin about plagiarism. There are a few reasons why I think people plagiarize. First of all, I think that often students think that plagiarizing is the easy way out and that their assignments will be much easier. In reality, plagiarism is actually harder and more time consuming than actually doing the assignment. In order to not get caught, it would be a very difficult process. But, alas, therein lies the conundrum. The student is lazy in the first place and therefore doesn’t put the brain power forth to realize that cheating is actually more work than actually doing the assignment.

Reason number dos, citing. I think that students don’t now how to cite correctly. So, they include quotes and whatnot and don’t correctly cite the information. Either that or they are too lazy to figure out how to do it correctly and just throw it all there.

Next, feelings of inadequacy. Sometimes a student may not feel that they can adequately or eloquently state what they want to, so they get overwhelmed and just put someone else’s words into their work. Writing a paper can be a hassle and a great task for some. They may just get so distraught over it that they throw their hands in the air, and with terror exclaim, “I cannot do it!” So there is another one of my reasons.

And some people just like the thrill of cheating. Living on the edge if you will. Perhaps they just want to see how far they can push the envelope. But, these people are few and far between, and I imagine that this case isn’t often seen.

On a similar note, my friend Dave has recently taken a bet in which he will read all the Twilight novels in 24 hours. We were discussing this on Friday night at our Beto’s Council. His stance is that the novels are childish and that reading them in 24 hours is only proof of their childishness. Many people (mostly those of the Twilight persuasion) contend sharply with him. But I believe in Dave, or 8 Mile as I affectionately call him. If anyone wishes to add his or her two cents on this subject please feel free to share. I’ve never read the Twilight books and have no desire within my being to do so. As I blogged earlier, I think that Vampires have been long due for extinction from the media. I hope that Dave’s undertaking will raise awareness and help send the vampires back to the darkness where we can shun them and their kind forever more. Do you not believe this noble truth? Then “you can’t handle the truth!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home